Neons are a tricky trend, with their blindingly bright shades that will send you straight down 1989′s memory lane (Barbie and Kelly Kapowski would so approve), it’s easy to build a love-hate relationship with the hue. You love how it pops off the pages of magazine ads and how style bloggers sport it with the coolest mix of bracelets and bangles, but how do YOU wear it without looking like your old kindergarten teacher or a Justin-Beiber-lovin-teeny-bopper? This guide will help take you away from perms, acid wash jeans, and overly-hyper teenagers, and put you in the here and now of fabulous neons. Because they. are. FABULOUS – worn the right way, of course.
1. Repeat: Neutral, Neon, Neutral. To keep it mature, wear just one main clothing piece in neon. Blair of Atlantic-Pacific pairs her neon jacket with a neutral maxi and wedges – which also creates the illusion of a taller build. We styled a similar look with shorts in our Electric Feel Lookbook.
2. Easy does it. Your hair and make-up that is. No coiffed curls or perfectly lined eyes. This is a cool and laid back trend. Treat it that way with a slightly un-done or casual do and ‘natural-ish’ make-up. See photos below for ‘the don’t’ and ‘the do’. Tip: Don’t go old school and literally match your make-up to your outfit.
3. Still a little color shy? Try it just in your accessories or on your toes and nails. Or just stick to where it looks best – on the beach in a bikini and a cold cocktail straw .
Spring has just started to show its pretty colors, and our favorite style sites are already cloaked in fall 2012 fashions. What we can gain from looking 6 months into the future (besides being a step ahead in style), is that we can buy pieces now that will transition with us to fall. Everyone desires a well rounded closet, right? Besides stocking it with year round staples (a denim jacket, dark wash skinny jeans, black ballet flats, the perfect nude wedge, a striped tee, a trench coat, etc.), this season – and next – go for GREEN . In all shades from mint to hunter.
Try these Frock Candy pieces now and later…
- Wear it now with black sailor style shorts, a chiffon maxi skirt, white skinny jeans, or brighten it up with a yellow mini skirt and colorful wedges.
- Take it into fall with a leather skirt and a camel-hued blazer. Or try it with paneled pants and a glitzy tweed jacket.
- Wear it now with a lightweight peplum blouse, a simple white tee, linen wedges, or cut-out wooden heels.
- Try it later with textured tights, a classic button-up, a faux leather collar, and sleek knee boots.
- Wear it now with color pop shorts, cut-off denim, a flippy mini skirt, or dressed up with rose-gold heels.
- Wear it later with leather-look skinny pants, a black biker jacket, and cool moto boots.
*Photo via celebritystyle.com
I don’t know about you, but I could wear Miranda’s outfit every weekend – total classic!
Get her look…